Find out more about virtual attendance
This virtual Masterclass gives delegates the opportunity to learn about how you can support children and young people who are facing problems surrounding anxiety and depression.
“What we’ve seen across our frontline services in UK schools is rising numbers of young people struggling with anxiety, self-harm, eating difficulties and suicidal thoughts.”
The increase in depression and anxiety amongst school pupils has been widely reported and can have a huge impact on learners. Mental Health Monthly Statistics released in May 2022 show that a record number of children and young people are being treated by the NHS for mental health problems.
This brand-new Masterclass has been put together specifically for senior leaders in schools to help them understand their role in supporting children facing these challenges. It is an ideal course for new and experienced senior mental health leads who might want to delve deeper into the topic of anxiety and depression.
You will come away with knowledge to assist you with early identification and intervention as well as practical ideas and tools to take back to your school and put into practice straight away to support your pupils. You’ll have plenty of opportunity to network with colleagues from other settings, as well as Sam, or expert speaker. Enabling you to delve into the specific challenges you are facing in you setting.
Senior Mental Health Leads, Pastoral Leads, Designated Safeguarding Leads, School Counsellors, School Nurses, SENCOs, members of the SLT should attend
This Masterclass will enable you to:
- Understand what anxiety and depression looks like, what can cause it in children and young people and what physical impact it can have
- Recognise indicators which could support early identification and intervention
- Have an understanding of the treatments available to children and young people
- Improve support in your setting with a range of interventions and adjustments
- Introduce more proactive support for students who are most vulnerable and at risk of anxiety and depression
- Get to grips with the importance of self esteem and how effective intervention can build resilience
- Understand the role of the setting as a protective factor and how you can implement this best practice
Sam is a renowned speaker, trainer and author specialising in mental health and SEN. She has been a SENCo in a large secondary school and is a qualified Cognitive Behaviour Therapist and a Child and Adolescent Counsellor. Sam also set up a company providing mental health CBT programmes for schools. She is in high demand to speak at conferences and events and provides in-house training for schools and companies, nationally and internationally. Lauded for her humour and ‘telling it like it is’ approach to mental health, Sam has had her book Mental Health in Education published by Routledge, and regularly writes for several publications with more books in the pipeline for publication