Find out more about virtual attendance
This practical course uses current research, guidance and models of best practice along with extensive personal experience to provide those in schools engaged with supporting good attendance and punctuality with a wide range of really practical suggestions that can be implemented straightaway as part of your improving attendance strategy. The course will also challenge ideas in current practice that are used widely and are proven NOT to work. Participants will leave with a compressive toolkit of practical, down to earth, ideas that are proven to make a real positive difference to school attendance.
“All schools have a continuing responsibility to proactively manage and improve attendance across their school community. As set out (…), attendance is the essential foundation to positive outcomes for all pupils and should therefore be seen as everyone’s responsibility in school”
Attendance is at the forefront of government policy, with a whole host of changes set to be introduced through new guidance and the Schools Bill. With increased scrutiny, its vital that you are taking steps to ensure that your school is taking the right steps to manage and improve attendance.
One of those changes will be the legal requirement to publish a clear policy on school attendance. As part of this you will be expected to demonstrate what efforts you are making to improve attendance as part of your whole school strategy.
This Masterclass has been designed to help you do just that. This full day, practical and interactive workshop will take you through the very latest research on best practice in improving attendance and how you can take a whole school approach to implementing proven strategies
You’ll have plenty of opportunity to network with colleagues from other settings, as well as Steve, our expert speaker. Enabling you to delve into the specific challenges you are facing in you setting.
Attendance Officers, Headteachers, Deputy and Assistant Heads, Heads of Year, SENCOs, Inclusion Managers, Pastoral Leads should attend
Key Learning Objectives
- Prepare for forthcoming changes to guidance and legislation surrounding school attendance
- Delve into recent research findings, including from the Education Endowment Foundation, into what works in improving school attendance
- Understand what a whole school approach to attendance looks like and effective strategies for engaging the whole school community
- Explore barriers of attendance for individual learners
- Take back to your school a comprehensive toolkit of proven strategies to put in place targeted support for specific challenges
- Share best practice, hints and tips on what works to improve attendance
- Improve relationship with parents and carers to build partnership that facilitate improved attendance
Stephen has spent over 25 years teaching and leading challenging secondary schools across the UK, is now a sought after expert practitioner, consultant and trainer in: Developing outstanding leadership at all levels, Highly effective strategies to ensure outstanding learning, teaching and progress, Positive behaviour management techniques to re-engage disaffected learners, Restorative justice, Performance management, professional development, coaching and mentoring, peer mentoring, Safe recruiting, child protection and safe interview practices, Meeting the needs of exceptionally able learners; and Music and Performing Arts Education